Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tragic Loss of a Scouting Friend

I wanted to share with all of you a remembrance of James Walker, the man that was the manager of the Army Barracks here in Conway. He was murdered by a young man attempting to rob his store.
My son, Ethan, and I have been in his store hundreds of times. Jim regularly distributed fliers and put up posters for us as we were building the Pack in Conway. I was always kidding him about his small Scout corner, but, he always seemed to have something that I couldn't do without. It had become quite a regular occurrence for Ethan and I to run in on the weekend while out running errands. We were always greeted as old friends.
When Ethan crossed-over to the Troop he wanted to get a Boy Scout neckerchief. Jim had none in the store. After pausing a moment he remembered the mannequin that he had displaying his own personal Scout uniform... he removed the neckerchief and gave it to Ethan. This is the neckerchief that Ethan wears to all of his Scouting functions. Just a plain red neckerchief... a thoughtless kind gesture. It shows the true nature of the man. A man that his children will not have to guide them as they grow up.
It has come to my attention that James was a member of Troop 150... I am ashamed to say that I never realized that.
Rob Troon, Scout Master for our brother Troop in Tamworth, tells me Jimmy started his journey in Scouting as a youth member of Troop 151 during the mid-late 80's and '90. For his last year as a Scout, he moved up to Troop 150. He turned 18 as a Life Scout and proudly displayed his uniform in the store the whole time he worked there. His scouting days were mentioned at his funeral, and the center picture was from Hidden Valley.
Scout Master Troon has the wonderful idea of hosting an annual campout between our two Troops in remembrance of this fine person. It would be very nice, as fund-raising time is upon us, if we could make an extra effort and raise funds to go into the Walker children's scholarship fund... now that is something worth raising money for.
As Mr. Troon and I work out the details please keep the Walker family and children in your thoughts. They will have some dark days ahead of them without their Dad. I trust that Scouting will be able kindle a small flicker of hope for them in the future.
Your in Scouting,
Andy C